No, this is not a joke. I’m serious, when I tell small business owners paying for Facebook “Likes” to drive website traffic is a bad idea. Okay before all the Facebook experts and gurus start yelling at me, blowing up my inbox, leaving comments on my blog, posting on my Facebook wall and sending tweets (YES, they really will do all of that). PLEASE let me explain…
I am NOT talking about using Facebook pay per click (PPC) or pay per impression (CPM) ads as a means to obtain likes. Surely, when executed strategically both PPC and CPM will yield results that have a positive return on investment. And of course, there may be a few other ways to pay for Facebook “Likes” that make sense I am not aware of at the moment.
What I am leading up to is this:
Holding a contest asking people to “Like” your page to reach a certain number of “Likes” where the prize is cold hard cash is a bad, REALLY BAD idea.
5 Reasons why paying for Facebook Likes will not continuously drive website traffic
- People can game the system by creating dummy Facebook accounts just to earn the cash
- Asking people to only click the “Like” button, does not build relationships
- You are not giving your visitors a compelling reason return to the page
- Asking people to only click the “Like” button does not build brand loyalty
- They can easily (and probably will) “Unlike” the page after you reach your magic number
Social media is about being social and organically attracting people who have a genuine interest in your products or services. It doesn’t matter how many “Likes” you have if no one is engaged or listening. In fact, growing social network numbers is about quality not quantity.
Here’s an amazing drive traffic fast tip; instead of offering cash for “Likes” do this…
Hold a contest that will promote your products or service. Use your contest as an opportunity to expose prospects to what you do. For example:
- If you are a professional organizer, hold a contest for the world’s messiest garage. Ask the contestants to “Like” your page to get information about entering the contest, uploading pictures and videos to your wall. The winning prize would be your organizing services.
- If you are a professional painter, hold a contest for the world’s most bizarre wall papered room. Ask the contestants to “Like” your page to get information about entering the contest, uploading pictures and videos to your wall. The prize…of course, your wall paper removal and painting services.
- If you are an image consultant, hold a contest for mommy makeovers. Ask the contestants to “Like” your page to get information about entering the contest, uploading pictures and videos to your wall. The prize…you guessed it! An image consultation and wardrobe makeover.
NOTE: Before you get started read Facebook’s Promotions Policy.
Each one of these presents an opportunity for you to engage your audience, promote your products and services in a very non-salesy way without paying cash for “Likes”.
Discover how to use your website and online presence to attract new leads, more traffic and customers 24-7. Grab your FREE Website Traffic Secrets Starter Kit at www.GrabYourFreeStarterKit.com.
Copyright © 2011 Rising Star Ideas, LLC. All Rights Reserved Worldwide
Photo courtesy: microsoft.com